Search for articles, databases and journals
Databases provide access to journals (and their articles) within a discipline or subject. You can search within databases for articles and journals.
Electronic Resources Help
Please see What are journals, articles and databases?
For more help with these and other online resources, email email@example.com.
UIC Library Search
Use the Library Search on the home page to search items from the Library Catalog, I-Share Catalog and many databases at once.
For further, in-depth information about Searching using UIC Library Search, including search tips, please see our Search Help guide.
Search for articles in a database
Searching in a Library database, such as Academic Search Complete or PubMed, allows you to find information that's not on the web. Databases usually focus on a subject area and give you options for narrowing a search that are specific for the information on that subject.
- Locate the Research Guide for your field or major - this guide will contain a list of databases recommended for research in your discipline.
- Browse the full list of databases by title or search databases by keywords, e.g., sociology.
- Ask the liaison librarian for your major to suggest databases for your project. Find a subject librarian.
Tips for using databases
- If a database does not have a PDF or HTML full-text option, click on the Find It @ UIC button to search the library's holdings for full-text access through another resource if available.
- When UIC does not have an article available online, you can request an electronic copy through Interlibrary Loan.
- Log into Google Scholar or PubMed through the library website to turn on the Find It @ UIC link to e-journals and Interlibrary Loan requests.
Find articles in a journal or e-journal
You can also browse articles in issues of specific journals or e-journals, such as the Journal of the American Medical Association or National Geographic.
- You will see "from" [dates available] "in" [name of a database] - click the database for access.
- If you see "in UIC Print Journals," you can find the journal on the shelf or request a scanned PDF of the article through Interlibrary Loan.
Request items from other libraries
Staff, students, faculty and emeritus faculty can request items from other libraries.
You can request full-text articles from other libraries through interlibrary loan, also called ILLiad. Articles will be delivered through email as scanned images or PDFs.